Arabic Flagship Student Resources
Learn about our current students or explore resources for Arabic language learners.
Resources for Current Students
- Aratools : Arabic- English dictionary that lets you search by root or word, including diacritics. Also available as an iOS app. English-Arabic dictionary in beta.
- Hans Wehr: Online, searchable Hans Wehr dictionary.
- STUDY BLUE: Customizable flashcard decks that allow you to sort by least reviewed, newest, or hardest words and phrases.
- Quizlet: Online customizable flashcard decks that allow you to search for others' flashcards and vocabulary.
- Memrise: A flashcard site featuring existing decks in dialect (including Moroccan Darija), MSA, media vocab, and more.
- DLI Online Assessment: This online reading and listening exam will provide individual feedback on areas and skills you can improve in.
- DARIJA DICTIONARY: This app for Android phones provides an extensive list of Moroccan vocabulary as well as lessons on learning Darija.
- The Living Arabic Project: The Living Arabic Project is the first online, multi-dialect Arabic dictionary. It contains one of the largest Egyptian Arabic dictionaries ever written and is working a Levantine and MSA / CA dictionary. The database is always growing, and over the past four years has added about 30,000 words across the Egyptian, Levantine, and MSA dictionaries.
- BBC Xtra: A daily, downloadable podcast that discusses a range of topics from sports, literature, science, and more.
- BBC Radio: World news and talk radio from BBC in Arabic.
- MC Doualiya: A radio station based out of Doha, Qatar.
- No Borders: An Aljazeera podcast focusing on contemporary events in the Arab world.
- MAZYAN BIZAF SHOW: A podcast created by an Arabic Flagship student and his Moroccan professor during his Capstone year in Meknes, Morocco which discusses Moroccan Darija and its linguistic roots. Episodes in English, MSA, and Moroccan dialect.
- Radio Fann: A radio station based out of Amman, Jordan.
- Radio Maroc: A variety of Moroccan radio stations including top hits and daily news.
- Morocco Radios: An app for streaming Moroccan radio stations. It is available for iPad, iPod, and iPhone.
- Maghrib in Past and Present: A podcast featuring lectures on many topics and themes related to the Maghrib region. Mostly English, with some episodes in Arabic, French, Tamazight, and Spanish.
- Spotify: Pop Music
- Spotify: Acoustic
- Spotify: Rap Music
- Arabic @ UMD YouTube Playlist
- Team Maha: Cultural tips and slang words from an American living in Cairo.
- Aktub: Learn to type in Arabic.
- 3ayza Atgawez: The satirical blog that turned into a popular Egyptian TV series.
- Typing Test: Test your skills and compete for the quickest typing time.
- 3ayza Atgawez: The complete TV series.
- Cartoon Arabi: Hundreds of TV shows and animated movies, including translated cartoons.
- Arabizi: A blog about sociolinguistics, Arabic, and language maintenance.
- Al-Hakawati: Folklore, fairy tales, and other English language readings to learn more about Arabic culture.
- ACTFL Proficiency Scale and guidelines: Information about language testing and proficiency levels.
- DLPT Guide (MSA): A familiarization guide to the DLPT test in Modern Standard Arabic.
- State Department Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs: Includes links to State Department guidelines and information about the Middle East and North Africa.
- Embratoriat Meen: A light-hearted Egyptian comedy about an expat family that moves back to Egypt at the time of the 2011 revolution and the cultural misconceptions that ensue.
- Zina: A Moroccan drama about a young girl who decides to leave her village and pursue her dream of becoming a famous singer.
- Harat alYehood: An Egyptian drama that aired during Ramadan 2015. The show is set in the Jewish Quarter during the 1948 war with Israel.
- AlKabeer Awi: An Egyptian comedy full of slapstick humor, this show focuses on AlKabeer Awi's two son's as they fight to see who will take over his "empire".
Check out our new library books, available now!: View Google Drive