Undergraduate Funding

Printer-friendly version

Federal scholarships and tuition breaks available to undergraduate JAPN majors and/or graduate students taking Japanese at UMCP:

Are you considering studying abroad as part of your undergraduate major in Japanese followed by work in the federal government? Or as a graduate student are you planning to study Japanese as part of an academic program of importance to national security? You may be eligible for a David L. Boren scholarship through the National Security Education Program (NSEP). 
NSEP was designed to provide Americans with the resources and encouragement they need to acquire skills and experiences in areas of the world critical to the future security of our nation in exchange for a commitment to seek work in the federal government. As students of other cultures and languages, Boren Scholars and Fellows begin to acquire the international competence needed to communicate effectively across borders, to understand other perspectives, and to analyze economic and political affairs. More information on eligibility requirements, types of support, and the application process can be found here:


Are you interested in teaching in public or private U.S. elementary or secondary schools after graduation? Check out the U.S. government’s TEACH grant program that provides up to $4,000 to support your undergraduate or graduate education, in exchange for your agreement to work as a teacher in a school that serves low income families. 
If your career plans change, you can still receive the funds, but they must be paid back as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. For more details on eligibility requirements and service post-graduation, see: