Payroll & Benefits

Printer-friendly version
See information for: Current EmployeesInternational EmployeesNew Employees
Jump to topics: Benefits, Direct Deposit, Honorarium Payments, ResourcesRetirment Forms,
                         Time Records/Timesheets, Visiting Scholars, W-4 Tax Form


Forms should be submitted to Payroll & Benefits Coordinator,  3215H Jimenez Hall


The School of Languages, Literatures and Cultures offers employment in a variety of categories including:

  • Faculty and Exempt Staff
  • Non-Exempt Staff
  • Student and Contractual Hourly

Because of heavy demands within the Payroll office, all existing Faculty and Staff are strongly encouraged to submit Payroll Action Request Form(s) well in advance of the desired employment start date. Hiring requests are to be submitted for any type of appointment, paid or non-paid.

Anyone interested in applying for a position at the University of Maryland should visit University Human Resources

To Request a change to an existing payroll appointment, submit the following form:

Payroll Action Request Form


Payroll Actions

New employee payroll appointments will start the first Monday of a pay period (provided the appointee completes all required payroll documents). Any changes to existing appointments should be submitted in advance of the requested effective date. 

Once the hiring official (active SLLC Faculty or Staff) has submitted a Payroll Action Request Form , the SLLC Payroll Coordinator will contact the appointee to schedule an Onboarding Meeting.

Note: In order to comply with UMD Policy and Federal Regulations, our office cannot process “same day,” or "backdated" hiring requests. An employee must have an active PHR appointment to work on campus (paid or unpaid).


New Employees

A number of steps must be completed before an appointee may begin work at The University of Maryland:

  • Employee Data Collection

The Employee Data Collection Online Form  provides the payroll office the information necessary to create your appointment and schedule your onboarding meeting.  

  • Form I-9

The Form I-9 determines work eligibility in the United States. “Employers must complete Form I-9 to document verification of the identity and employment authorization of each new employee (both citizen and noncitizen) hired after November 6, 1986, to work in the United States” (USCIS).  This form is sent via email after receipt of employee data and is completed by you online. You will need to present original identification to us no later than 3 business days after your start date.

Acceptable Documents for the Form I-9


  • Original Payroll Forms (provided upon receipt of employee data)

W-4 Withholding Allowance Certificate: Claim allowances for Federal and state tax or claim “Exempt” based on your individual tax needs.

Direct Deposit Authorization: Bank Name, Routing Number and Checking/Savings Account Number (NOT debit card number) required for completion.

International Employees

If you are in the U.S.. with work authorization, before we can establish your payroll appointment you will need to bring your work authorization documentation to the SLLC Payroll Office.

Please bring with you:

  • DS-2019 or I-20
  • Passport
  • I-94 document
  • Employment Authorization Document Card (if applicable)

All international visitors (paid and non-paid) will receive an email which allows you to provide the required information and complete most of the necessary forms via the Internet from any web-accessed computer using the GLACIER Online Tax Compliance System (link: The information and forms must be provided prior to any payment so that the correct tax withholding and reporting decisions are made; failure to do so may result in the maximum rate of tax withholding and/or delayed payment. Information provided to GLACIER is transmitted and stored securely and will only be used by University of Maryland System for purposes of tax withholding and reporting. Please access Glacier and complete the online record, sign and submit the Tax Summary Report and copies of the documents listed near the bottom of the report as soon as possible to Payroll/HR during your onboarding meeting.

Each international person is different, so you may not have some of the documents listed above. Bring only what you have from the list. We will advise you of any additional steps you may need to take.

Additional Information for International Employees

  • Annually, you will need to complete paperwork with our office in regards to your Visa/Immigration status. Notifications through Glacier.
  • Check in with the office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) and attend an orientation in their office.
  • Do not work outside the University without checking with an advisor in ISSS (International Student and Scholar Services) office prior to working.
  • Be mindful of the program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019.  Notify Payroll of changes in your status or extensions.  If your employment authorization expires, you WILL NOT be allowed to work.


Current Employees 

  • Time Records/Timesheets

Work days and leave hours must be recorded for Exempt employees and Faculty (50% FTE or more), while Nonexempt and hourly employees are required to record actual hours worked.

Time records must be signed off at the end of each pay period by both the employee and the supervisor.

Faculty & Exempt Staff Time Record Instructions

Contingent & Hourly Timesheet Instructions

Supervisor Approval Instructions


CPB still requires submission of an original paper form after online completion.

Claiming “Exempt” CANNOT be done online

Contact the SLLC Payroll Coordinator for assistance


Note: Paper checks will be issued for 2 – 3 pay periods before changes to Direct Deposit are completed.

Submit original paper document:

Payroll System: University of Maryland
Agency Name: University of Maryland
Agency Number: 360222


Health Care

Medical benefits are now managed online through The Maryland Statewide Personnel System (SPS). Download this handy guide to help you access your benefits management portal. 


Other Benefits

Need something else? Contact the SLLC Payroll Office or schedule a meeting with the Payroll Coordinator.  

Click here for all UHR (University Human Resources) Forms: all forms


Visiting Scholars/Researchers Sponsorship

There are a number of steps involved in sponsoring a visiting scholar visa. Please contact the SLLC Payroll Office with any questions you may have.

Step 1: Faculty sponsorship

The process begins with the faculty member who agrees to serve as the visiting scholar’s sponsor.  Please see the downloadable guidelines here:

SLLC's Visitor and Visa Processing Guidelines 

Step 2:  Obtain approval from ORAA

All visiting scholars must undergo the foreign entity screening. Faculty sponsor (or designee) should use the online submission form to instruct the payroll office to initiate screening and submit the visitor's CV and proof of degree(s) to initiate creation of the Formal Invitation Letter signed by the Director.

 Step 3:  Formal Invitation Letter

Generated upon reciept of foreign entity screening approval. 

Step 4: The visa request process

Once initial request has been initiated and screening is complete, the payroll office will initiate the J-1 or H-1B visa application. 

The process for obtaining a VISA can take 3 - 4 months for J-1 visas

and 6 to 8 months (or longer) for H-1B visas.

Step 5: The appointment process

Both paid and non paid visiting scholars must have an approved PHR appointment before ISSS can review a visa application.

Step 6:  Your visitor arrives

When your visitor arrives, please make arrangements to have them bring their original documents to the payroll office.  There are a number of  steps the visitor will have to take to meet the University’s arrival requirements.


We are here to help you find answers to your question but we don’t have all the answers. Check out these resources:

Click here for all UHR (University Human Resources) Forms: all forms


Need something else? Contact the SLLC Payroll Office or schedule a meeting with the Payroll Coordinator.