Home >> Academics >> Academic Programs >> Advising


Printer-friendly version

See program pages for advisor contact information.

·       Code of Academic Integrity

·       Declaring a major housed in SLLC

·       Dismissal of Delinquent Students

·       Foreign Language Requirement – See Global Engagement Requirement

·       Getting a Second BA

·       Global Engagement Requirement

·       GPA (Grade Point Average)

·       Honors Notations for dept. Honors Study

·       Independent Study/Directed Study

·       Internship / Experiential Learning

·       Service Learning

·       Students in Distress

·       Taking Language Acquisition Courses In Sequential Order – Yes/No?

·       Undergraduate Policy on Academic Probation and Dismissal

·       Undergraduate Policy on Semester Academic Honors


Code of Academic Integrity

Any member of the University community who has witnessed an apparent act of academic dishonesty, or has information that reasonably leads to the conclusion that such an act has occurred or has been attempted, has the responsibility to inform the Honor Council promptly in writing. For more information consult the Student Honor Council website.


Declaring a major housed in SLLC

Declaring a major housed in SLLC is a two-step process:

1. First, students should contact the program in which they would like to major. Students and their program advisor will fill out an academic plan.

2. Second, students are responsible for bringing their academic plan to a second meeting with an Arts and Humanities College advisor. Students and their ARHU advisor will complete the academic plan and complete the change of major process.

Students should call the ARHU Office of Student Affairs at 301-405-2108 at least one day in advance in order to schedule an appointment. Students may not change their major during walk-in advising hours.

Office of Student Affairs
1120 Francis Scott Key Hall
College Park, MD 20742
Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.



Dismissal of Delinquent Students

The university reserves the right to request at any time the withdrawal of a student who cannot or does not maintain the required standard of scholarship, or whose continuance in the university would be detrimental to his or her health, or the health of others, or whose conduct is not satisfactory to the authorities of the university.  Additional information about the dismissal of delinquent students may be found in the Code of Student Conduct, Appendix C, in Chapter 10



Getting a Second BA

A student can return to UM to seek a second (or more) BA. As long as the first BA was earned at UM, a student simply needs to be readmitted, complete the requirements for the new major, and have at least 150 credits for the second degree, 180 for the third, etc. If the BA was earned elsewhere, different regulations apply—usually there are other university requirements that need to be fulfilled. For more information, check with the ARHU Advising Office @ 301-405-2108.



Global Engagement Requirement

To develop ARHU students' understanding of other cultures and languages, the college has expanded its current “Foreign Language Requirement” and renamed it the “Global Engagement Requirement." Learning a second language produces deep knowledge of cultural as well as linguistic differences while opening pathways for common understanding.

Students may satisfy the ARHU Global Engagement Requirement in one of the following three ways, all of which require the study of a foreign language:  

Option 1: Study of a Foreign Language

Requirement: Students will take foreign language coursework to the designated level at UMD.  Please consult an ARHU advisor for a list of the required course sequences.

Option 2: Cultural Immersion through Study Abroad

Requirement: Students will participate in a semester long Study Abroad experience in a country where English is not the primary language. 

The study abroad experience must include:  

  1. At least the first year/elementary level language of the host country before or during the experience or equivalent as determined by the ARHU foreign language placement policy;
  2. A reflection component that will challenge students to assess their pre-departure, in-country, and post experience (0-3cr.);
  3. Participation in one of the following pre-approved engagement experiences:
  • Internship (1-6 cr.)
  • Service learning (0 cr.)
  • A living situation involving daily interaction with host nationals (e.g. a pre-approved home stay with a host national family) (0 cr.);
  • Other engagement experience approved in advance of departure

Student must develop a learning contract with an ARHU advisor in advance of studying abroad in order for the experience to count for the Global Engagement Requirement. Past study abroad experiences will not be considered retroactively.

Option 3: Individually-designed Engagement Experience

Requirement: Students may also create an individually-designed experience that achieves the learning outcomes of the global engagement requirement. 

This option must include: 

  1. At least the first year/elementary level language of the host country before or during the experience or equivalent as determined by the ARHU foreign language placement policy;
  2. A pre-approved menu of short- and long-term study abroad programs appropriate for inclusion in this option has been developed by ARHU in conjunction with the Education Abroad office;
  3. Students must develop a learning contract with an ARHU advisor and petition to have the experience approved in advance;
  4. Students proposing study abroad in an English-speaking country must choose to study a language that has significance to the historical or current culture of the host country. Students will need to research and discuss the intersection of the chosen language and culture in their petition.

Examples of individually-designed experiences are available on ARHU’s Web site.

Important note: All students must take a placement test in order to register for foreign language courses unless you have fulfilled the designated prerequisites. 

Students already beyond the required language must document their language proficiency by taking a placement exam or equivalent course work as determined by the ARHU foreign language placement policy.



Taking Language Acquisition Courses In Sequential Order – Yes/No?

Can students studying a language go backwards, i.e. take a lower level course and get credit? For example: A student who took GERM 301, could he/she take GERM 103 the following semester and get credit? – NO! The UG Catalog clearly states that:

In all SLLC programs, language acquisition courses must be taken sequentially. Once credit has been received in a higher-level language acquisition course, a lower-level course may not be taken for credit.

For more information refer to the SLLC section of the UG Catalog. The statement is located right before the section called "Language Majors."



GPA (Grade Point Average)

There are two GPA's—semester (or session) and cumulative. The semester GPA is the GPA earned during a given semester (or session) that impacts the overall/cumulative GPA. This is the GPA used to determine eligibility for Semester Academic Honors (Dean's List), financial aid, housing etc. Then, there is the cumulative GPA: This is the comprehensive GPA of all semesters and winter/summer sessions and is the student's true GPA.

Computation of GPA

GPA is computed by dividing the total number of quality points accumulated in courses for which a grade of A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, or F has been assigned by the total number of credits attempted in those courses. Courses for which a mark of P, S, I, NGR or W has been assigned are not included in computing the GPA. Each letter grade has a numerical value: A+, A, A- = 4; B+, B, B- = 3; C+, C, C- = 2; D+, D, D- = 1; F = 0. Multiplying this value by the number of credits for a particular course gives the number of quality points earned for that course.

See Repeating Policy for Undergraduate Students to determine the effect of repeated courses in the calculation of GPA.   



Honors Notations for dept. Honors students

Currently, SLLC offers three dept. Honors programs or tracks: FREN, GERM and SPAN. In order to ensure that our SLLC students are receiving departmental honors notations on their transcripts and are listed in the Commencement brochure please submit the name(s) of your students with their UID to Terri Marcos (Tmarcos@umd.edu) in the Diploma Office in the UMD Registrar’s Office once you have cleared these students for graduation.

The Diploma Office in the UMD Registrar’s Office keeps a list of all students who will be graduating in any given semester.



Independent Study/Directed Study (for ex. XXX299, 399, 499)

Independent Study/Directed Study are the same thing, and the same course numbers can be used.

Independent study provides students with the opportunity to pursue a research interest under the guidance of a faculty member. For example, if a student takes a FREN literature class and loves it and wants to do more, they might ask a faculty member to be their sponsor. The project is essentially driven by the student. Students are responsible for creating their own syllabus, including a list of relevant readings and assignments (see Student Proposal Form).

Faculty must fill out the Faculty Approval Form contained in the same document. Relevant paperwork must be submitted to the Academic Affairs Office, 1105JMZ. Outstanding Independent Study projects may be presented at the Annual SLLC UG Research Forum in the spring.

Typically, the Independent Study option is available to advanced students in their senior year and only IF no appropriate courses in the major are available for the student to progress towards degree completion in a timely manner.



Internship / Experiential Learning (XXX386)

For Faculty Internship Sponsors: Please use the course template for XXX386 SLLC Internship Practicum as a guide to develop the academic component of the language internship. We trust that you will find it helpful in your role as Faculty Internship Sponsor. In devising this template, we have been drawing from the guidelines for ARHU386 currently in place for ARHU students. For more information please contact Mehl Penrose (mpenrose@umd.edu).

For Students: Please refer to the Undergraduate Internships section for additional forms and requirements.



Service Learning

Service learning involves some kind of community service activity that is linked to academics. This would include participation in America Reads*America Counts, etc. Visit the Leadership & Community Service Learning Web site to learn more about opportunities including Immersion Experiences & Alternative Breaks and Leadership Studies. Departments do not actually have their own service learning numbers. They are usually through EDCP.

The Service Learning definition best comes from the Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning (2001). To be service learning there needs to be

  • relevant and meaningful service with the community;
  • enhanced academic learning in a particular course;
  • purposeful civic learning.



Students in Distress

UMD Help Center provides free telephone and walk in counseling; and pregnancy testing to UMD students and the larger community. Help Center has been in existence for 40 years. All calls made to the Help Center are kept strictly confidential. All Help Center volunteers are UMD students. The counselors are trained for 1-3 semesters to deal with everything from roommate and grade stress to instances of rape and thoughts of suicide.
Counseling line: 301-314-HELP (4357)
Location: 3105 South Campus Dining Hall
Hours: Mon- Thurs 2pm-2am
Friday: 2pm-10pm
Sat-Sun 2pm-12am

For an overview of additional services available to students in distress please refer to UMD’s Faculty & Staff Guide for Assisting Students in Need.



Undergraduate Policy on Academic Probation and Dismissal

Students will be placed on academic probation if their cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. Students whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 for two consecutive semesters will be dismissed from the University, subject to the provision for academic probation continuation set forth in section c.ii. See the Undergraduate Catalog



Undergraduate Policy on Semester Academic Honors

Semester Academic Honors (Dean’s List) will be awarded to those students who complete, within any given semester (excluding winter and summer terms), 12 or more credits (excluding courses with grades of P and S) with a semester GPA of 3.5 or higher. This recognition will be noted on the student’s academic record.