Maya Brin Residency
- 2016 - 2017 Valera and Natasha Cherkashin
- 2015-16 Veniamin Smekhov
- 2014-15 Masha Gessen
- Speaking of books
- Photos: Speaking of Books
- Video: Speaking of Books 1/2
- Video: Speaking of Books 2/2
- Public Lecture: Putin's War against the west
- Photos: Public Lecture Putin's War Against the West.
- Video: Putin's War Against the West 1/3
- Video: Putin's War Against the West 2/3
- Video: Putin's War Against the West 3/3
- Conference on Freedom of Speech in Russia
- Video: Conference on Freedom of Speech in Russian 1/2
- Video: Conference on Freedom of Speech in Russia 2/2
- Full Length Conference Articles
- 2013-14 Dmitry Bykov
- Russian Program
The Maya Brin Residency program is thrilled to be hosting Masha Gessen, the prominent Russian-American journalist and LGBT activist, from April 20-25, 2015. Gessen is the author of Words Will Break Cement: The Passion of Pussy Riot (2014) and the national bestseller The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin. (2012). She recently edited a book called Gay Propaganda: Russian Love Stories. Her newest book, which will appear on April 7, 2015, is The Brothers: The Road to an American Tragedy.
Gessen's work has appeared in the New Yorker, Vanity Fair, The New York Times, The New York Review of Books, Slate and the Guardian, and she frequently appears on American TV and radio. Her visit to the School of Languages, Literatures, and cultures will include a one-day conference on Freedom of Speech in Russia (Friday, April 24) and a public lecture on "Putin's War Against the West" (Wednesday, April 22). Gessen’s visit will also include visits to classes, a seminar, and an event at McKeldin Library, "Speaking of Books: A Conversation with Masha Gessen" (Monday, April 20).